Research and Development Programs
Research and Development Programs
of Prof. Dhanjoo Ghista
My R&D Programs in (I) Biomedical Engineering in Physiology, Medicine and Surgery, (II) Sports Science, Biomechanics and Medicine, (III) Mind-Body Medicine and Physiological Regeneartion, (IV) Hospital Healthcare Operations Management. (VI) Non-dimensional Physiological Indices in Medical Assessment and Hospital Performance.
I. Biomedical Engineering in Physiology, Medicine and Surgery:
1. Cardiovascular Medicine: Left Ventricular Wall Stress and Contractility Index, Vector Cardiogram and ECG Signal Processing, Coronary Blood flow and Myocardial Perfusion, Myocardial Infarct detection and Heart Failure, Intra-Ventricular Blood Flow and Candidacy for bypass surgery, Pulse wave velocity and Detection of Arteriosclerosis, Aortic Pressure Profile and Aortic stiffness determination, Coronary Bypass surgery design for maximal patency, Prosthetic Aortic and Mitral Valve designs.
2. Pulmonary Medicine: Lung Ventilation modeling for Lung disease detection, Lung Ventilatory Index, Lung Gas Transfer performance analysis, Determination of O2 and CO2 Diffusion coefficients, Non-dimensional Gas-transfer index, Indicators for Extubation of Mechanically ventilated COPD patients.
3. Diabetic Medicine: Glucose-Insulin Regulatory Control systems, Oral Glucose Tolerance Test modeling and model parameters determination, Non-dimensional indices for glucose and insulin responses, Non-dimensional Diabetic Index for Diabetes detection.
4. Nephrology: Kidney Functional analysis, Countercurrent mechanisms and modelling of urine concentration, Osmolality in the descending and ascending limbs of the Loop of Henle, compartmental model of renal clearance kinetics, Physiological measurement of the Glomerular Filtration Rate (GFR), Relationship between blood creatinine levels and the renal clearance rate, Renal clearance convolution analysis; Renography modelling and determination of normalized urine flow rate index to differentiate between obstructed and normal kidneys.
5. Orthopedic Biomechanics and Surgery: Osteoporosis Index for osteoporosis detection; Structural analysis of plate-reinforced fractured bone and Optimal design of fixation plate; Osteosynthesis using hemihelical plates for fixation of oblique bone fractures, Finite Element analysis and design of Bone-Plate assemblies and Helical Fixation plate.
6. Spinal Biomechanics and Surgery: Biomechanical Simulation of Scoliotic Spinal deformity and Correction, Presurgical Finite-element Simulation of Scoliosis Correction, Structural analysis of the Spinal Vertebral body as an intrinsically optimal lightweight and high-strength structure, Fractured Vertebral body fixation techniques and design of a vertebral body cage, Clinical Biomechanics of Spinal Fixation: Anterior, Posterior Fixations; Structural analysis of Intervertebral Disc as an intrinsically optimal minimally deformed structure under spinal loading, Nucleotomized Disc model analysis and solution for disc herniation.
II. Sports Science, Biomechanics and Medicine:
1. Sports Science: Analysis of Spinning Ball Trajectories of Soccer kicks and Basketball throws, Analysis of high jump and pole vault, Analysis of tennis serves and cricket bowling, Analysis of Ice Hockey Slap shots and Field Hockey Drag flick.
2. Sports Biomechanics: Optimal Walking Modality based on modeling the leg as a Simple-compound pendulum, Optimal Jogging Mode based on Double-compound model of the lower limb.
3. Sports Medicine: Cardiac Fitness Index based on Treadmill test, Evaluation of Hip Joint based on Differential equation model of the Swinging Leg motion, to determine the hip joint damping and stiffness parameters.
III. Mind-Body Medicine and Physiological Regeneration:
Mind-Body Medicine and Therapy for Psychosomatic Disorders and Physiological Regeneration:
1. Mind-body Medicine and Therapy: Rejuvenation and boosting cognitive function, increasing graymatter density in the hippocampus, lowering blood pressure and boosting the immune system, reducing depression and easing stress.
2. Physiological Responses and Health Benefits: Triggering of neurohormonal mechanisms that bring about health benefits, as evidenced by increased parasympathetic and reduced sympathetic nerve activity and increased overall HRV, reducing stress and anxiety; Enhanced release of melatonin, which has anti-inflammatory, immune-stimulating, anti-oxidant and regeneration-enhancing properties.
3. Development of Non-volitional EEG Biofeedback System Therapy for treating neurological and psychiatric disorders.
IV. Hospital Healthcare Operations Management:
1. Management of Hospital Bed Capacity and Patient flow, Home Healthcare Policies and Value Chain, Cost-Effectiveness Modeling of Healthcare Delivery Systems;
2. Cost-effective Hospital Operation: Performance Index (PFI) and Cost-effective Index (CEI) for Hospital Departments;
3. Operations Research management of Budget distribution, such that none of the “n” departments has PFI below the acceptable value of PFIa and CEI below the acceptable value of CEIa; resulting in combining quality patient care with cost-effective hospital operations management.
V. Non-dimensional Physiological Indices in Medical Assessment and Hospital Performance:
1. New Concept of Non-dimensional Physiological Indices (NDPIs) or Physiological Numbers (PHYNs) for analyzing Physiological Systems and Medical Tests’ Data.
2. Physiological & Medical Assessment Indices: Sports Fitness index, Cardiac contractility index, Lung ventilation Index to detect lung disorders, Diabetes diagnosis index from oral-glucose-tolerance test, Arterial stiffness or arteriosclerosis index, Mitral Valve Elasticity Index from heart sound and echocardiography data, Bone osteoporosis index.
3. Hospital Performance: Hospital Departments’ performance-cost indices, and optimizing budget allocation for maximizing patient care with cost-effective hospital operation.